Jamaican Stew peas with Pig’s tail is a popular native meal eaten in Jamaica. You may assume it’s prepared with a kind of pea based on the name, but it’s made with red kidney beans; they call most of their beans peas.
Other things needed for its preparation include; coconut milk, meat (pig’s tails are the standard option), red kidney beans, pimento seeds, onion, and spices; they all contribute to its rich and creamy taste.
The red kidney beans and pig’s tails can be acquired easily at most marketplaces, or if you’re trying to cut down on time spent cooking, you can opt for canned beans.
This recipe will focus on using pig’s tails as your protein, but if you don’t like pork, you can use beef, chicken, turkey, and oxtails as an alternative or vegetables if you’re a vegetarian. Often, people combine pig’s tails and beef for some variety.
Another essential addition to the dish is the spinners; they must be made separately and added to the stew. It’s just made up of flour, water, and salt. It helps to give the stew pea that thickness.
Preparing the Stew Peas
- You can prepare the pig’s tails in two different ways. Either wash and soak the pig’s tails overnight in 8 cups of water to help soften them and get rid of the excess salt, or cook your pig’s tails first for roughly half an hour to achieve the same outcome.
- You should soak your red kidney beans in 6 cups of water for 7 – 8 hours before it’s needed to help soften them or cook them for some time for the same result.
- Then you can put your red kidney beans and pig’s tails together in a pot, add your garlic, pimento berries, and some water, and allow it to cook.
- At this point, you should prepare your spinners to use once it’s time for it while you wait for the pig’s tails to boil.
- Then add your coconut milk, scallion, bonnet pepper, thyme, and extra water. Allow it to boil a bit before adding your spinners. Stir the mix, and taste it to ensure everything is as you’d want it.
Jamaican Stew Peas with Pig's tail
Ingredients for the Jamaican Stew Peas
- 2.2 lbs Pig's Tails (or any other meat of your choice)
- 3 cups Red Peas
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 3 stalks Scallion (Green Onion)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 big Onion
- 1 count Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 10 count Pimento Seeds/Berries
- 1 tbsp Salt and Pepper
- 1 can Coconut Milk
Ingredients to Make the Spinners
- 1½ cup Flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ cup water Enough to make the dough stick
- Wash your pig's tails thoroughly, put them in a pot and boil for a little over half an hour to get rid of excess salt and soften it. If it's not salty, you can add seasoning to it.
- Or you can soak the pig's tails overnight if you have time to do that. It'll have the same effect, and then you can drain out the water and boil for 5 -10 minutes before skipping to step 3.
- Wash your red kidney beans thoroughly and pick any impurities or bad beans, then boil them for a few minutes. (But if you soaked it overnight, this step will not be required).
- Wash and place the red kidney beans in a pot with the pig's tails and add some garlic, pimento berries, and about 8 cups of water, and allow it to cook for about 1½ hours until both the red beans and pig's tails are soft. For pressure cookers, this process might require just about half an hour.
- Add your onions, thyme, scallion, water, and coconut milk to your beans and pig's tails and leave them to boil.
- While the pig's tails and bean cook, prepare your spinners using the instructions that'll come after this.
- Twenty minutes before the stew pea is ready, add rolled spinners gently, add your scotch bonnet pepper too and stir gently, ensuring you don't accidentally break the pepper so that your stew doesn't end up being too spicy.
- Allow the Stew pea another 20 minutes to cook, ensure you taste for salt or pepper and watch to ensure it gets to the level thickness you want.
- Take your stew down and remove the scotch bonnet pepper and thyme before you proceed to serve.
Making Your Spinners
- Put your flour and salt together inside a bowl and mix them properly
- Begin to add water in minimal quantities while kneading to achieve a smooth and soft dough.
How To Serve Jamaican Stew Peas With Pig’s tail
Homemade Jamaican Stew peas can be served with:
- Fried plantain
- Potatoes etc
1 kg of pig’s tails – 1715 per lb
1 cup of flour – 456 calories
2 cups of red kidney beans – 250 calories
One can of coconut milk – 230 calories
1 tsp of salt – 0 calories
Vitamins & Mineral Content
Jamaican stew peas with Pig’s tails contain carbohydrates and protein and a vast number of vitamins and minerals ranging from:
Vitamin: A, B-6, B-12, C, D, E
Minerals: Zinc, Sodium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, 5, Copper, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pantothenic acid, and Riboflavin.
How To Store
If you make a large helping, you can store your stew in plastic containers and freeze it for a couple of days or more.
Bring it out and let it thaw before reheating and serving.
- If you soaked your pig’s tails and red kidney beans overnight, you’d not need to boil them as long as you would if you decided to wait and boil them when you were ready to cook.
- Always taste for salt, so you don’t end up adding salt when it’s not necessary. Pig’s tails and red kidney beans are salty enough to last two lifetimes already.
- If you have added just a little too much salt, 5adding a little sugar can help balance out the taste.
- This meal could have you spending all your free hours in the kitchen. So, by all means, use the canned beans as an alternative to red kidney beans to cut down on cooking time.
Ana Patricia Gámez Biography and Online Boutique
Ana Patricia Martinez, formerly known as Gámez Montes, is a Mexican beauty queen. She took first place in season 4...
Fejiro Hanu Agbodje: Patricia CEO Biography, Age & Net Worth
Fejiro Hanu Agbodje is an under-30 billionaire in Nigeria who is the co-founder and CEO of Patricia. He is a...
Top 10 Patricia Nash Designer Purses in 2022
Who is Patricia Nash? The purses are designed by Patricia Nash, who also gives her name to the firm. The...
Patricia Arquette Actress Biography
Who is Patricia Arquette? Patricia Arquette is a famous American actress who has gained massive popularity for her roles in...
Patricia Quinn Actress Biography
Who is Patricia Quinn? Patricia Quinn Wiki/Bio: Patricia Quinn, Lady Stephens, is a singer and actress. Her most famous performance...
What is Rihanna’s Age, Business and Net Worth?
Robyn Rihanna Fenty, popularly known as Rihanna, is a singer, songwriter, actress, and businesswoman. Since 2005 when she came into...
Tom Brady Bio, Age, Family & Net Worth
Tom Brady Biography Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr., known as Tom Brady in the Football world, is the quarterback for...
Will Smith Bio, Age, Family & Net Worth
Will Smith Biography Willard Carroll Smith II, popularly known as Will Smith, is an American actor, rapper, and producer. Asides...