Jamaica is the home to some of the most exquisite and mouth-watering dishes in the world. They combine spices, vegetables, and a long list of meat that I can’t even keep up with to create some of the greatest kitchen delights.
Authentic Jamaican brown stew chicken is one such dish. It is an island dish packed with many flavors, rich spices, seasoning, and vegetables that’ll tease your taste buds. And you eat this meal all year round.
This is a perfect dish for people who love stew, chicken, or different kinds of meat. The fantastic thing about it is that it’s not a meal that’ll hurt your pocket if you decide to try it out at home, and it’s easy to cook. The steps are simple and easily memorable.
What is Authentic Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken?
Authentic for short is a popular dish eaten in the Caribbean Islands like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados (I’m sure we can ask Nicki and Riri to teach us a trick or two), Dominica, and a lot of other countries.
Ingredients used to make deboned chicken fried and marinated in Browning sauce, onions, scallion, brown sugar, garlic, thyme, ginger, paprika, sweet pepper, pimento seeds, black pepper, and probably a flavor enhancer, braised in delicious gravy, making it one the best comfort meals.
It is similar to making the regular brown stew chicken, with the primary difference being that the chicken is fried first for Authentic before other processes begin.
What is Browning Sauce?
This is one of the essential ingredients for any brown chicken stew. The chicken can’t magically turn itself brown, can it?. It’s a dark sauce widely used to add a brownish look and flavor to the gravy, some cakes, meats, and stews.
It’s made up of vegetable extracts, caramelized sugar, and seasoning. It can be bought from any shopping mall or even in the market. I hear it’s part of the decor in lots of Jamaican homes.
It doesn’t have any known nutritional benefits, but it contributes to the aesthetics.
Authentic Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
- 3.3 lbs Deboned Chicken
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 big White Onion
- 1 count Sweet Pepper
- 2 stalks Scallion
- 2 tbsp Powdered Thyme
- ½ tbsp Browning Sauce
- 2 tbsp Pimento Seeds
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2 big Fresh Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Flavor Enhancers
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Powdered Garlic
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Ketchup
- Wash your chicken correctly with water. Cut it up into smaller pieces according to your preference, and wash with lime juice and vinegar.
- Chop your vegetables; the onion, tomatoes, scallion, sweet pepper, pimento seeds, garlic, and thyme (you can go ahead and add any other vegetable you want that's not included here).
- Put your chicken in a bowl and add all your chopped vegetables into the bowl containing the chicken, then add your flavor enhancer, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of black pepper, and ½ tsp of browning. When you're done adding the spice, you need gently mix the chicken up with your hands until the spices have touched every inch of it.
- You can now leave it for 1-2 hours to absorb the spice, or you follow this same process and cover up your chicken and refrigerate it overnight when you're done mixing.
- Be careful not to add too much browning; we don't want an overly dark chicken.
- Preheat your pan to medium heat, then pour in your oil. Begin to add your chicken one by one and allow it to fry, but don't let vegetables and the seasoning pour in. Check and turn the chicken over at intervals to ensure that all parts are equally touched and brown.
- Once it's ready, take it out of the pan and keep it aside. Pour out your oil and leave the leftover spices and seasoning at the bottom because it is needed.
- Pour in all the spices and vegetables that were left aside before frying. Then add 1 cup of water, one tbsp of butter, and pour in 2-3 tbsps of ketchup and some sugar.
- Allow your chicken to simmer for 30-35 minutes. It'll allow everything to mix up together correctly.
What To Serve Along With Authentic Brown Stew Chicken?
You can serve Jamaican brown Stew chicken with various things, including; white rice, rice and peas, plantain dumplings, and Jamaican hard food. You can still play around with other dishes not mentioned here to discover different combinations that might interest you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What can I use to thicken my brown Stew chicken?
- Ketchup on its own helps to thicken the stew. Add corn starch diluted in water to add more thickness. It’s best to avoid using flour because it tampers with the color of the stew.
- Why does my authentic brown Stew chicken taste bitter?
- Adding too much browning sauce to your chicken marinade will make it taste bitter because it has some caramelized sugar.
- What can I use as a replacement for browning sauce?
- You can make your homemade browning sauce. It’s not complicated, or you can melt your brown sugar in the oil for cooking and let it melt. It should do the trick. The slight take back is that browning sauce is that it gets bitter if there’s a miss-step.
- What is the difference between Brown Stew Chicken and Authentic Brown Stew Chicken?
- Making Authentic for short is simple and similar to making the regular Brown Stew chicken. The only difference is that authentic requires that you fry your chicken first after marinating it before you start making the stew.
How To Store Authentic
You can refrigerate and store authentic for 4-5 days in a plastic container or store it for 6months and above if it’s adequately frozen.
Reheating is easy, just remove your dish and keep it in the open till it gets defrosted, then reheat it on the stove or with a microwave.
Ana Patricia Gámez Biography and Online Boutique
Ana Patricia Martinez, formerly known as Gámez Montes, is a Mexican beauty queen. She took first place in season 4...
Fejiro Hanu Agbodje: Patricia CEO Biography, Age & Net Worth
Fejiro Hanu Agbodje is an under-30 billionaire in Nigeria who is the co-founder and CEO of Patricia. He is a...
Top 10 Patricia Nash Designer Purses in 2022
Who is Patricia Nash? The purses are designed by Patricia Nash, who also gives her name to the firm. The...
Patricia Arquette Actress Biography
Who is Patricia Arquette? Patricia Arquette is a famous American actress who has gained massive popularity for her roles in...
Patricia Quinn Actress Biography
Who is Patricia Quinn? Patricia Quinn Wiki/Bio: Patricia Quinn, Lady Stephens, is a singer and actress. Her most famous performance...
What is Rihanna’s Age, Business and Net Worth?
Robyn Rihanna Fenty, popularly known as Rihanna, is a singer, songwriter, actress, and businesswoman. Since 2005 when she came into...
Tom Brady Bio, Age, Family & Net Worth
Tom Brady Biography Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr., known as Tom Brady in the Football world, is the quarterback for...
Will Smith Bio, Age, Family & Net Worth
Will Smith Biography Willard Carroll Smith II, popularly known as Will Smith, is an American actor, rapper, and producer. Asides...